10 Natural Remedies for Allergies that Actually Work
Allergy Season is Upon Us
The weather is getting warmer, the flowers are blooming, and the birds are beginning to sing, but oh seasonal allergies … how they can truly make spring a miserable time. I know, I’ve been there.
So do you have allergies?
Maybe you’ve had them your entire life or maybe they are something new.
Try these 10 simple natural remedies that actually work.
1. Manuka honey – Manuka honey is produced by bees in New Zealand which is why it is so expensive. The active ingredient in manuka honey is MCL Methylglyoxal which has been showed to decrease mucus production in the nasal cavity and act as a powerful antimicrobial. I love Wetherspoon & they have many different options from cough drops to jars of honey, to nut butter infused with honey, etc.
2. Bee Polon – Bee pollen is similar to in helping to prevent allergies as honey. Bee pollen helps to reduce inflammation, acts as an antioxidant, boosts the immune system, and lower mast cell activation which is all important in fighting allergies. Bee pollen can also be used topically if there are any side effects which show on the skin from allergies like rashes, dry skin, and eczema.
3. Nettle Leaf Tea – Nettle Leaf tea is beneficial in controlling natural histamine reactions in the body and can be used in tea or tincture form. I love to drink one cup of nettle leaf per day when allergy season is approaching to prepare myself for allergy season. Nettle leaf can also help in combatting fever like symptoms which may come with allergies, hay fever. My favorite brand to use in the form of a tea is traditional medicinals.
4. Neti-pot w/ saline rinse – netti pots are a great natural remedy for allergies because they help to clear the sinuses which often become congested during allergy season. This remedy will help more like a treatment and preventative method than a cure. I have not personally tried this method but I hear great things from clients & also in research studies.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar – What is ACV not good for? Taking a shot (diluted) of ACV can help combat allergies at first sign of defense. ACV helps to boost the immune system, break up mucus, and support lymphatic drainage. As an added bonus ACV can help with skin issues, digestion, and energy first thing in the morning.
I recommend Ethan’s brand.
6. Garlic – garlic can act as a natural antibiotic and antimicrobial. Garlic can help to ward off infections which may be more of a “root” cause to allergens. Swallowing a small clove of raw garlic is the most powerful antibiotic but not everyone can stomach it. I recommend making a raw pesto cause and using it on a plant-based pasta or as a healthy dip for gluten-free crackers. Search “pesto” for my raw pesto recipe.
7. Cruciferous vegetables (Quercetin) – Quercetin is a natural bioflavonoid that is said to help stabilize mast cells to keep them from releasing histamine. Quercetin can naturally be found in cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, Brussel sprouts, and kale… just to name a few. Shoot for at least two servings per day during allergy season. Some simple ways to incorporate more cruciferous vegetables is to add cauliflower frozen to a smoothie (great thickener) or roast them and add to pasta or salads.
8. Probiotics – About 70% of the immune system lives right outside the small intestine. Allergies are the result of an imbalance in the immune system and a healthy gut can encourage a healthy immune system which can aid in keeping allergies at bay. One brand that I am loving right now is Megaspore Probiotic.
9. Bone Broth or Collagen Peptides – Bone broth is rich is many amino acids and minerals which support a healthy gastrointestinal tract. As mentioned above, a healthy gut often influences a healthy immune system. Bone broth is one of the most natural sources of glycine which is used in the body to make glutathione, a powerful antioxidant in detoxification & neutralization of free radical formation. Studies show drinking 8 ounces of bone broth per day can aid with allergy symptoms. Bone broth should be gelatinous at cold temperature and liquid when heated to ensure the highest amounts of amino acids (glycine). I will link some of my favorite products below.
Vital proteins Collagen Peptides
Bonifide Provisions Bone Broth
10. Baobab Powder (Vitamin C) – Flood your body with nutrients to support the immune system with this pure fruit powder. Baobab powder is an African superfood powder derived from the baobab fruit tree. Allergies often occur when your immune system mistakes a natural substance like pollen, grass, and trees for a germ which triggers histamine reactions in the body giving you those “dreading allergy symptoms”. Influencing healthy immune responses can help combat allergies. Organic Baobab’s natural Vitamin C is also non-acidifying, unlike synthetic Vitamin C and easier absorbed by the cells in the body. I recommend @organicburst baobab. You can find it at the link below.
So skip the headaches, running nose, sneezing, itchy eyes, and cough this allergy season and experiment with some of these natural remedies.
Post a Comment